Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I'm not cool. I already knew this.

Okay, allow me to explain the back-story. I've been experimenting with Tumblr over the past few days because it's invaded my life over the past year or so. I see the point of it - a 'hip, trendy, cool' site; a younger, more glamorous version of Blogspot, perhaps. And, oh, how I've tried to like it. I really, really have.

I set up two different Tumblr sites, one of which has nothing at all posted on it because I simply didn't get that far. Yes, I like the idea of reblogging and the 'like' button certainly makes it to praise others, but I when it comes to blogging I think I'm a traditional kind of person. A site like this will always appeal to me - one standard post format accommodating text, images and videos. If you want a quote, you type it in and format it yourself. Granted, it may not have the striped background for quotes that Tumblr boasts, but it's functional and I can manipulate it in whichever way I please.

Furthermore, to me it seems that Tumblr is only fun once you have a few followers and people start reblogging you. Although it would be nice to have a few more followers on this blog, I don't really feel like I need it because 'Green nails and pink hands' is a personal expression. Plus, I have two great friends reading it so my audience is somewhat established. With Tumblr I feel like I'd be constantly reblogging photos of indulgent cupcakes and thin, beautiful people wearing effortlessly fashionable outfits. Lovely, but nothing very individual or representative of me in particular. If I want to see that kind of content, I have some go-to Tumblrs, namely haylecakes.

So, in short, thanks a lot, Tumblr for making me realise how uncool and traditional I happen to be when it comes to blogging (among other things). You don't need me with your hoards of users. Have a nice internet life; I'll be here after your popularity fades away like a nauseatingly overused slide transition on Powerpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment